I have Rancher 2.6.1 running on EKS version 1.20. (Both Server and Production Cluster) I want to upgrade both of these. All nodes in the server cluster are running Amazon Linux, and the downstream cluster nodes are using Ubuntu. For the rancher server cluster I launched it with EKS (eksctl) and did not use a custom AMI. The production cluster I created a launch template with a custom AMI and created the cluster with Rancher console. I am looking for advice on the best way to upgrade. I think I can do the following:
• Upgrade Rancher to 2.6.8 (can I go directly or do need to do it in steps?)
• Upgrade server cluster to 1.21 and then to 1.22 Using AWS Console
Upgrade Downstream Cluster would be a multi stage process.
• I have to create a new AMI using the correct base AMI + my customizations..
• Upgrade the cluster using the AWS console to 1.21
• Re-launch all nodes with the matching AMI
• Upgrade the Cluster using the AWS console to 1.22
• Re-launch all nodes using the matching AMI
Do I have it right?